Saturday, August 6, 2011

Scentsy and Singing!!

Soooo this afternoon I met my Scentsy consultant Trisha on our way to the annual Kleinwood singing (more about that in a minute...) and picked up all of the orders from my party!! After the singing I unpacked everything and divided everyone's orders into their bags. I had so much fun looking through all of my free stuff for hosting!! I was a little skeptical of this Scentsy stuff but once I got a warmer and started using it, I just love it!!



Jacey was of course afraid of the big box on the table and all of the "strange smells" coming from it...


 

Here are the two warmers I got... one is a plug-in for the half bath downstairs and the other is in our bedroom...


Bathroom Plug-in

Bedroom Warmer
I also got a warmer for my classroom too in the shape of a cupcake, it is super cute but I haven't gotten it out the box yet. I will do that next week when I set up my room and unpack everything. (Wish me luck please on that, it is a disaster... and I'm totally not kidding about that!! Thanks Patrice!!)

So what about this singing thing... well every year (as many of you may know...) Kleinwood church of Christ has a singing where people come from all over (out of state too!) to attend. It is absolutely amazing!! There is truly nothing like it. We had about 1,300 people all in one building tonight singing praises to our awesome God! It is one of the most beautiful and uplifting things you can do throughout the year. There are no words to describe the experience, and it is only a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny sliver of a taste of what Heaven will be like. :0) I took a few pictures during the break, but people are up and moving around so you can't really get a true idea of the crowd, but it's a decent indication.



I actually sat by a woman tonight named Donna, and she and her husband were from Washington state!! She was super sweet and so nice to me. She said her and her husband had three sons and seven grandchildren, all of whom worshipped at the same church they went to. I just think that says something about two people when every one of their children and their children's spouses and their children's children are going to church!! I really enjoyed talking with her tonight though and getting to know a new person in God's kingdom.


One of the cool things that Kleinwood does is that they put recordings of all of the singings online for people to download. Obviously they don't have tonight's songs on their website yet though, they said it will probably be a couple of weeks, but if you are interested, there are past years of singing on this website


So I started thinking on the way home... we just sang for about 3 hours, from 7 to 10 p.m. with an 11 minute break, (hehe I know, why not just 10?? I like it though, I set my morning alarms with weird numbers like that... anyway, that was totally a tangent...) and I wondered how many calories we burned tonight haha... Just another perk to praising God!! Jacob said he thought 7, but I disagreed so I looked up some info online and this is what I found...

During 20 minutes of singing, a person who weighs 150 lbs. burns about 34 calories if sitting down, or 45 calories if singing while standing up, according to CaloriesPerHour.com. You can burn more calories by increasing the frequency, duration or intensity of your singing. Singing gives your lungs and diaphragm a workout because it involves respiratory muscle exertion and deep and open breathing. (I totally copied and pasted that so hopefully I won't get in trouble for that...) I also found a couple of other websites that stated that you burn about 130 calories per hour of singing, but obviously again that depends on your weight and how you are singing. ;0) 


Singing helps to relieve stress, improve your mood and lower your heart rate, blood pressure and breathing rate. The rhythm of a song may help to relax your muscles, according to Stanford Medicine. I also found some websites that talked about singing enhancing longevity of life, having a stable temperament and a decent figure (haha!), as well as higher self-confidence and a sense of humor. Isn't that interesting?? I just find that God is so amazing that He designated a way to worship Him that would also be beneficial to us!! He is so wise!! 


So, when you are feeling down, sing a song! When you are feeling stressed, or your self-esteem is low, sing a song! And just imagine the spiritual ramifications if you choose to sing a song to God!! Just something to think about!! :0) Y'all have a super fabulous weekend now!! Mine is off to a great start already!! :0)




2 comments:

  1. Yay! I want my scentsy warmer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 - I REALLY want a scents warmer. I have for a long time... One day...

    #2 - We are sad we missed the Kleinwood singing (again), but so thankful we will be able to get a recording! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete