Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oh Comcast...

So here's my Comcast story... We decided that we wanted to disconnect our cable because we did the math and realized we were paying $1500 a year for tv and internet and that's just crazy... I mean, that's a nice vacation, right?!?! So I call Comcast, (who raves about their customer service and who according to their commercials has customer service as their number one priority), and I schedule a date for them to come out and turn it off. So here's how that goes...


I schedule the appointment for last Saturday from 12-2 p.m. I wait around with Jacob on Saturday for the cable guy to come, and by 3 no one has shown up. So I call Comcast back, and after waiting a while I get to talk to someone! She informs me that apparently the cable guy's truck had broken down and they rescheduled our appointment for 2-5 p.m. on that same day. I told her it would have been nice if they would have called us to tell us that. She says that we will have a $20 credit on our next bill. So then Jacob and I are watching TV later and it goes out. So we're assuming the cable guy is here and will come in to get the cable box and remotes. We look outside and no one is there, and no one comes to the door. So I call Comcast again (another 30 min. of my life gone...) and talk to a lady about why they didn't come to the door. She says she'll get someone to come back out that evening and get it. No one comes. So Jacob and I are thinking, this is ridiculous. Well it gets better. They proceed to call us Sunday during church, so of course we can't answer. Then they call Jacob at work on Monday at 10:30 a.m. and want to know why he's not home because we had a scheduled appointment at that time for them to come pick up the box. Of course Jacob tells the guy no one told us about this appointment. So the guy asks us to leave the box on the back porch for them to pick up Tuesday! I'm laughing now, but at the time I wasn't. We're thinking, "Great, we'll leave it our there, something will happen, and then we'll get charged for it." Luckily that didn't happen though and they were able to finally pick it up. 


I'm exhausted just typing all of that out. Well, I'm the type of person that gets aggravated and mad when people don't handle situations like that well, when people say one thing and don't hold up to their word. Well, as always, our ladies' Bible study gave me some good things to think about when dealing with anger, so I thought I'd share them with you!! :0)


Anger is defined as an emotion with a wide range of intensity, or a strong feeling of displeasure. Here's a few verses on what the Bible has to say about it.



“Be ye angry and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on our anger, and do not give the devil opportunity.” – Eph. 4:26-27

“But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander and abusive speech from your mouth.” – Col. 3:8

“But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, You fool, ‘ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.” – Matt. 5:22

I don't know about y'all, but that last verse scares me because there have been times when I am angry with others. I think the thing to remember with anger, is that it is an emotion that God created us with. So in essence, it is not a sin to be angry, but sin can come from being angry if we act upon our intense emotions. 


I like the first verse, because it puts a picture in my mind that I have a choice to give Satan an opportunity or not. I like to think of the fact that I can choose to not let him win in any aspect of my life. (I cant be a little competitive at times!) Also from this verse, it is important to resolve issues with others soon, but I think also it is wise to give yourself time to make sure you say things in appropriate ways that will help the situation and not make it worse. :0)

So, if you're like me, you want a solution. What can I do to not give place to the devil, or to control my actions when I am angry?

The best place to find solutions to life's problems is to look in God's word. Here's a verse that someone brought up in class...

“Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do it. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light and your judgment as the noonday. Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his ay, because of the ma who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger and forsake wrath; Do not fret, it only leads to evildoing.” – Psalm 37:3-8


So when you are feeling angry remember these things... (as I will also try to do!!)
  • Commit to Him (Remember that you are committed to God!)
  • Trust in God (That He will resolve your problems and help you handle the situation appropriately!)
  • Focus in delighting Him (Anger can be a selfish emotion - generally we get angry because we feel wronged. If we focus in making God happy, we will be focusing on a life of service, which is selfless!)
  • Rest and wait patiently (Pause and take a few deep breaths, wait before you act.)
I hope this helps you as it has helped me. I have many frustrations in my day to day life, which can result in anger, so I was glad to take a moment and look at what God has to say to me about this emotion. I'll leave you with one last thought from another one of our special gals...

"Seek first to understand... Then seek to be understood!"


No comments:

Post a Comment