Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas Craftaganza! - Christmas Tree Countdown

This was the first year that Jackson really was super aware of Christmas, which was so fun! He was really into the lights and Christmas tree, and just loved all of the fun holiday things we did, especially the present aspect of Christmas haha!

As soon as I started wrapping presents and leaving them under the tree, he was asking me if he could "pick one out" and "open it." I was seriously having the same conversation with this kid every single day, so I thought it would be good to have some kind of Christmas countdown!

I'm sure there are a million ways to do a Christmas countdown, lots of super Pinteresty ideas, and probably even this one could be found on Pinterest! I have a friends that have made felt Christmas trees for their kids, so I thought I would just do this and add the numbers so he can maybe have some kind of concept about when Christmas would be coming!

It was super easy! Hobby Lobby had these felt packs of green felt that were about 3 feet by 3 feet, perfect size for a toddler felt Christmas tree! I picked up one of those and some other single pieces of felt to make the star and ornaments. 

I started by folding the green felt in half, and using the natural creases from how it was packaged to cut tree limbs. By folding it in half, I knew at least it would look the same on both sides. I'm all about easy crafts that are forgiving when I make mistakes haha! After I cut the tree limbs, I opened up the felt and tada! Christmas tree done!



I did the same thing with the yellow piece of felt to make a star for the top. I wasn't super happy with how the star turned out but it did the job. :)





Next, I found a pen cup that I could trace to make the ornaments for the tree. I traced one circle and then used it as my pattern. Again, I did the fold the felt technique and just cut out multiple circles at once. Momma of a toddler and baby has to do things quickly!





Helping Mom out by organizing the ornaments! Of course they had to be in a line haha...
After we finished cutting everything out, I wrote the numbers 1-25 on the felt, putting 25 at the top with a sharpie. I hung it up in the kitchen with a few push pins and Jackson helped hang the ornaments over the numbers.



So proud!
Each morning we get up and hang up another ornament, counting down another day! We've had a lot of fun talking about colors and numbers with this too! Hope you have fun making your own! You could easily add tinsel or other fun things to your tree too! Happy Crafting!

1 comment: