Sunday, December 25, 2011

When I survey...

So my Dad was leading singing this morning and tonight in worship services and this song stuck out to me...


When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died; my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God; all the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down. Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small; love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.

Music has always been a huge part of my life in so many ways, and worshipping God through singing is one of them. It is always so amazing to me how music affects people, from helping us learn and memorize things, to making us feel better. Even my little pooch gets happy and starts wagging her tail when we sing to her. I started thinking about this tonight and how we put words to song and sing those words from our heart to worship God. I started thinking in particular about this song and specifically what it is saying. Sometimes songs have lyrics that aren't the same as how we would say things, so I think it is important for us to know what we are saying when we talk to God. Here is what I thought as I read through this hymn...


When I think about the wonderful cross that Jesus, the Prince of Glory died upon, even my most richest accomplishments and acquirements I count for nothing and I drown my pride in disdain.
Please Lord, do not let me boast, except in the death of Jesus Christ and what that means. All the things that have enticed me the most, I give them up for Jesus' blood and sacrifice.
Look at His strong hands and His precious feet, and how His sorrow and love for us poured out. Did you ever see such pure love and sorrow meet together, or ugly thorns make up such a beautiful crown?
If the whole world of nature belonged to me, even that would be an offering too small for my Lord. This love that is so amazing and so perfectly divine demands my whole soul, my entire life, absolutely my all.


Once I started thinking about this, I realized, this, is what I should be singing and thinking while praising my Lord. Words from my heart, intents to love and obey Him. All too often we get caught going through the motions because many of us have grown up singing these songs over and over and over. I guess that's why I'm suggesting just occasionally look past the black and white on the page and ponder what the words mean. I try often not to use the book, and internalize those words because when you have to think about the verses and the words sometimes it helps keep your focus. The last line of this song always shines bright to me... 


"Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all."

Put this line of this song in your heart if nothing else. 
This love from Jesus demands my all.

1 comment: